So sorry, I posted 1 post then went MIA for a bit. School has been wearing me out but on a brighter note I just finished clinicals whoo hoo and I am 1 step closer to RN behind my name!....
the next few days after Delaney Claire was born are kind of a blur, but I will do my best to remember. I just remember I kept thinking she can't be here already I had barely felt her start to move and had only known she was a girl for 7 weeks before she was here, that just didnt seem like enough time. Delaney spent the next few weeks on medicine to help her BP stablize. She was doing great starting out of the gate, she never lost any weight right after she was born she just started gaining which wasn't a huge surprise to me because bless her little heart she didnt have anymore room in my tummy and the placenta sure wasnt helping her it was in all reality hurting her. She started gaining weight like a champ, they had to put her on the ossilator ventilator to help keep her lungs open. The right upper lobe of her right lung kept trying to collapse which is a scary feeling knowing that your daughters lung is collapsing. Already have been in nursing school for 2 yrs by this point was a blessing in one sense and a curse in another because I realized the severity of this. She was on the ossilator for a couple weeks, which as with any kind of assistive breathing device they are wonderful in the fact that they are keeping her breathing and here with us but not great in the fact that in trying to do its work it scars the lungs and makes them stiff. shortly after this she was able to go back to the conventional ventilator which showed improvement. a couple weeks later they attempted to put her on CPAP which would have been AWESOME if she could have stayed on it. She was able to stay on CPAP for a couple hours before she had to be reintubated. Little did we know one week later, the Ronald McDonald house would have to close due to mold and we would go to the Marriott for the 3 days they paid for then as hard as it was Tanner and I came back home to Cleveland for the 1st night since she was born. Little did we know the phone call we would recieve as soon as we got to Cleveland. It was Carol the NNP telling us that Delaney had blood in her stool and my heart sank, I totally knew what that meant, she tried to keep me optimistic and I was thinking the worse. The next morning it was confirmed by xray that she had Necrotizing Enterocolitis and our lives would never be the same. The next 4 weeks were the most torturous time because Dr. Carr her surgeon said the infection was too new to have surgery and if we did surgery right then there was a huge chance she would loose most of her bowels and the farther out from the infection we could get before doing surgery the better chance she would have of no complications during surgery and she would be much more stable for surgery. This was so painful to watch your little girl be so uncomfortable. I will write more soon!
Thanks so much for sharing her story with us Kerri! I know a lot of this is difficult and, at times, heart-wrenching, but I am really looking forward to hearing about her personality you so love and how this sweet angel from Heaven touched your life.
ReplyDelete